Updated supply disruption advice
Update on supply disruption: Baxter dual chamber blood* giving sets, MMC9609L blood pump set (used in Evo IQ and Colleague LVP infusion pumps) and 3M™ Ranger™ blood/fluid warming high flow sets.
Further to our previous guidance regarding supplies of dual chamber blood giving sets, we write to alert members to further supply disruption.
Summary of advice to clinicians:
- Continue to avoid use of dual chamber blood giving sets unless rapid transfusion of blood is certain or extremely likely.
- Use gravity sets for giving blood unless the use of a pump cannot be avoided (specific shortages outlined below).
- There are now added disruptions in supply of giving sets, which include the Baxter MMC9609L blood pump set used in Evo IQ and Colleague LVP infusion pumps.
- This is likely to last until at least the end of January 2023.
- Full details can be found in the NHS supply chain important customer notice.
- This issue relates to the previously identified labelling problem.
- There are no alternatives to the blood pump sets.
- Follow recommendations in our previous guidance.
- To protect supply, only use MMC9609L blood pump sets for the Baxter Evo IQ and Colleague infusion pumps when it is absolutely necessary to administer blood via a pump.
- Use a gravity blood set where indicated and possible.
3M™ Ranger™ blood/fluid warming high flow sets
- Further to a Field Safety Notice (FSN) published on 7 November, 3M™ Ranger™ blood/fluid warming high flow sets (catalogue numbers 24355 and 24370) have been temporarily withdrawn from use.
- Supply will not resume until April 2023.
- This is because of the identification of a manufacturing issue with the auto-venting bubble trap. The FSN can be found here
- The product is being recalled so alternatives will have to be used.
- Clinical deployment (including MDT training if required) of alternative rapid transfusion systems where available on site (e.g. Belmont systems).
- Completion of NHS Supply chain questionnaire which will evaluate the demand for mutual aid.
*refers to blood or blood products